Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dream Big

I graduate from college in a year (very scary) and my apartment lease will be up a few months after. My roommate and I have agreed that it would be for the best if we go our separate ways at that time (not so much the end of the friendship, more like the end of us living together for the sake of our friendship). All of these changes have led me to come up with a pretty insane plan but, before I explain my plan, I must tell you my dream.

I love to travel. I believe this world is too vast and wondrous for you to spend your entire life in your hometown. Personally, I want to experience EVERYTHING this world has to offer. I want to wander down every path and then create my own. Still, there has always been one place in particular in which I have always longed to lose and to find myself.









For those of you who are not anglophiles like myself, this a map of Britain and Britain is where I have always wanted to be.




"Why Britain" is a bit difficult to put into words. For as long as I can remember, I felt drawn to Britain. It is a strange thing to yearn for a country you have never called home. Still I cannot deny feeling as if my life cannot begin until I get to Britain. Perhaps it can be explained by the recent discovery that my ancestors hale from England, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland. Not that the discovery itself made me interested in Britain-my fascination began long before this information came to light-but maybe the homeland calls to me. Or it could simply be the literary nut in me; the one who cannot get enough of Chaucer, Shakespeare, Austen, the Bronte sisters, Spencer, etc. Or maybe it is my sensibilities as a writer, which makes me pursue a country so bursting with history that the very bricks and stones must sing about the adventures they have witnessed. Whatever the reason-be it all of these or none of them-the fact is that I have spent a good part of my life feeling like a misfit, like no one understood me, and somewhere along the way I came to the (possibly foolish) conclusion that Britain is where I will find my fit.




Which leads to the plan and my next post . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment